Thursday, August 20, 2015

Uzochukwu: Eagles will make Nigerians proud



Newly invited Amkar Perm midfielder, Izunna Uzochukwu, says Super Eagles will make Nigerians proud when they play Tanzania in a 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier on September 5.

Uzochukwu added that he would be honoured to play under Oliseh, who he described as “a great footballer.”

He said,“I’m really looking forward to working under him (Oliseh), because he was a great footballer during his playing days. So, working under him now as coach of the national team is a great honour for me and I am looking forward to it.

 “The Tanzania match is important for Nigeria, so I believe all the invited players are ready to give 110 per cent to make Nigerians proud.”

The 25-year-old spent six years at Danish side, FC Midtjylland, before joining Amkar Perm this year. He was constantly ignored by past Eagles gaffers but was still hopeful of representing Nigeria someday.

“For me, being left out of the national team is not a problem. But I hope that one day, I will get the opportunity to play for Nigeria,” he told The PUNCH in an interview in January.

Asked if he would consider representing Denmark – where he was based then – if invited, since he was then shunned by Nigeria, Uzochukwu added, “Of course I will, but my first priority will always be to play for Nigeria. If I get a chance to play for them (Denmark), I will consider it and take a decision but my desire is to play for Nigeria, my fatherland.”

Uzochukwu is now in cloud nine, after his wish of representing Nigeria came to reality.

“I feel so happy and honoured to represent my fatherland. It’s a rare privilege,” he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment