Friday, November 06, 2015

Eaglets Striker Orji Okonkwo On 35-yard Screamer Against Mexico

Golden Eaglets’ striker Orji Okonkwo discusses his 35-yard screamer in the

According to Okonkwo, that goal was the best goal he ever scored in his short career.

Okonkwo was named in the starting XI following the suspension of Funsho Bamgboye and he left a mark on the encounter scoring a 35 yard goal to give Nigeria a 2 – 1 lead.


 The striker who is the first boy in a family of six other children dedicated the goal to his mother.

He said: “I have never scored a goal like this before and you cannot practice this kind of goal. The goal I scored against Mexico today is a wonderful goal and I’m dedicating the goal to my mum who has been there for me; challenging me to be the best.

He continued:“My dad died last year; I remember him too but it is my mum that has been there for me all this while. I thank her so much.”

The teenager was also quick to praise coach Emmanuel Amuneke for giving him the opportunity and belief to start in place of the suspended Funsho Bamgboye.

He said: “Today, I want to thank Coach Emmanuel Amuneke for pushing me so hard. He is a nice person who wants the best for us.

“Before the match, he called me and said: ‘Orji, this is your chance, you can’t avoid to let yourself and Nigerians down’ and when I scored, I kept saying ‘coach, coach, coach’. I’m grateful to him.”

Holders Nigeria have reached their second consecutive final. The Eaglets head to Vina Del Mar on Sunday, October 8 for an all-African final against continental champions Mali, while Mexico will face off against Belgium for third place earlier the same day.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment