Thursday, July 19, 2018

Ekiti varsity VC denies arrest over alleged electoral violence


The Vice Chancellor of Ekiti State University (EKSU), Prof. Samuel Oye Bandele, has denied being arrested nor detained by the police over his alleged involvement in electoral malpractice during the Saturday Ekiti governorship election.

He said the news being circulated in various social media platforms that he was arrested while in the company of suspected thugs to disrupt voting in his hometown, Ijesamodu, in Ilejemeje Local Government Area, was not true.

Bandele in his refusal on Monday, said, he it became necessary for him to speak on the matter, as he had received many calls and messages on his phone over the issue.

Though not denying the fact they he was in his hometown to cast his vote as a patriotic Nigerian, he said, he returned to his home after performing his franchise.

He stressed that he was not a politician and not a member of any political party, and by virtue of his position, he was bound to be loyal to the Visitor to the university.

On the issue of also monilising 10,000 students of the university to deliver votes to a the candidate of a particular political party, Bandele said that could not have been possible, as the only polling unit in the institution had less than 200 registered voters.

He said: “I, Prof. Samuel Bandele, I am not a politician and I have made it very clear. I am very loyal to my principal and I maintain 100 per cent loyalty to all Visitors.

“I want to say that all the news being carried on the social media that I am mobilizing 10,000 to come and vote for a political party is a lie.

“They accused me of moving about with thugs in my village and carrying a ballot box. How will I descend so low to be doing that? They also alleged that I was arrested and taken to the police station from my village.

“Although I travelled to my village to vote, after voting, I returned to my house and I did not come out again until the election ended.

“I want to put the record straight that I did not move with any thugs and I did not steal any ballot paper or ballot box. I can never do that because I am a pastor.

“I was never arrested, anybody that is in doubt that go to the Police to confirm. The news being spread on the social media is not true, it is a lie.

“I have informed the management of what actually transpired and I have also mentioned it to the Chairman of Governing Council, Mr. Dele Adesina (SAN).”

Read more at www.armanikedu.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment