Saturday, September 26, 2015

Sallah: Lagos residents shun fun spots over insecurity, others



Major Lagos parks and fun spots were on Friday deserted as Muslims and picnickers shunned Sallah celebration in public places as a result of what they described as insecurity and lack of purchasing power.

Some residents, particularly Muslims told our correspondents that they would have loved to visit the fun spots and parks with their families for relaxation and other social interactions, but for reasons including insecurity, poor economy, unpaid salaries and unpredictable weather.

This year’s experience is a departure from the usual tradition in the state of fun seekers thronging fun spots such as Ndubusi Kanu Park, Aluasa, Ikeja; Alausa Garden and Amusement Park, Apapa.

A Muslim in Ikeja area of the state, Alhaji Nurudeen Ashimi, told one of our correspondents that he decided to shun the parks because of the recent arrests of some suspected Boko Haram insurgents in some parts of the state by the police.

He said, “Nobody prays for evil to happen in Lagos State, but it is advisable that one shuns places likely to be targets of attacks by criminals.

“I have not missed taking my families to picnic in the last 10 years, but I refused to do so this year because of fear of likely attacks by the insurgents.”

Earlier in the week, the office of the National Security Adviser, had also issued a security alert on the likelihood of Boko Haram attack on Lagos seaports.

The alert followed concerns expressed by the United States Embassy on the security situation at the nation’s seaports.

A resident, Gbenga Olujinmi, attributed his decision to avoid public fun spots during the festive season to the latest security report.

But another Muslim, Ganiyu Ibrahim, blamed his reason for avoiding his favourite fun spot on lack of purchasing power, saying that the economy was having negative impacts on him.

Ibrahim said, “I could not afford taking my children to picnic at Alausa Garden because I am financially buoyant. I just sent money to my first son studying medicine in the United States, so I’m left with little or nothing.

“There is no way I will go to Alausa Garden that I will not spend minimum of N15, 000 on my children. But since I don’t have the capacity now, I decided to fuel my generator to enable them to see programmes of their choice on the television.”

In addition, Ibrahim said he had to offer some financial support to some relatives in two neighbouring states, where governments owed workers’ salaries.

Asked why he did not visit the Amusement Park at Apapa as he did last year, Alhaji Idris Muktar, said he chose to stay at home with his family because of the unpredictable weather.

Muktar said, “On Thursday, it rained all day and we did not do much cooking because of it. So we decided to stay indoors on Friday, cook and share with neighbours and friends.”

No comments:

Post a Comment